Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Nobel Laureate Venkatraman Ramakrishnan: Oh, what a man!

When Dr Venkatraman Ramakrishnan won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry this year, his bio-data as released by a British News Agency read that he was from the temple town Chidambaram in Tamil Nadu. Soon after, my father, a senior reporter with a leading English daily, was directed by the Editor to see if he could gather any information about Dr Venky's boyhood days at Chidambaram.

My father had contacted my uncle, a celebrated Professor at Annamalai University. As my uncle had been staying at Chidambaram for over four decades, he had made some enquiries and had conveyed that nothing was known about Dr Venky. My father was quite disappointed that he was not able to file a story at that moment.

However, he somehow got the contact of someone at Dr Venky's workplace. When my father expressed his wish to contact the Nobel Laureate, he had got a surprising reply: "Venky is not a man who would go after the press giving interviews on winning the Nobel. He is a symbol of simplicity and humility and NOT AT ALL excited about winning Nobel. He stays calm and concentrates on work as usual". My father's efforts to contact Dr Venky ended there.

However, I got curious to know more about him. The more I read about Dr Venky, the more I got interested. And, after reading news reports about his visit to the Madras University, my respects for this man have increased several fold.

After reaching the top of the world, this man says: "Dont judge people by the awards they have won. Just because I have won Nobel prize, I dont consider myself smarter than greats like G Ramachandran".

He is totally devoid of egos and does not pay any heed to flattery. And, above all, after having accomplished a great deal, he remains totally calm. Fame has not changed his attitude a single bit.

We could see the same kind of greatness in some other persons who have achieved the pinnacle of success in their respective fields like Music Wizard AR Rahman, batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar.... All these people are devoid of egos; hate flattery; appreciate the work of others; accept success with all humility; Really great men!

In contrast, for a minute I imagined what will happen if a Tamil Nadu politician had received a Nobel prize. News paper advertisements, posters, cut-outs, hoardings, felicitation functions, processions, television interviews ... OMG!! I am afraid to think more! These people 'create' awards and 'give' it to themselves! Small men, big egos!

2 comments:

rsrirams said...

There was a request for Nobel Prize to the TamilNadu CM by DuraiMurugan. Think of the consquences

Ganesh D said...

Greatness must be associated with simplicity. Empty vessels make more noise.
~Ganesh.